Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Gestational Diabetes


And so, I found out yesterday that I have gestational diabetes. I had to go in for a 3 hour glucose tolerance test last Friday where they took my blood four times over that period. The first test, which was my "fasting test," came back normal. After they took that, I had to drink 100 grams of a pure sugar drink and they drew my blood on the hour for the next three. The results from the first and second hour came back high, and the third came back normal. They consider you to be a gestational diabetic if 2 or more of the tests come back abnormal. The good thing about this is that my fasting levels (the most critical) were normal, so that gives me some relief.

I will be going to see a dietitian and nutritionist tomorrow to get on a diet plan to keep my blood sugar stable, and to learn how to check my levels (prick my finger) four times a day. And then next Thursday I will be going to see a fetal medicine doctor to have an extensive ultrasound to check out Cooper. They are going to be monitoring him very closely until the delivery. So far what they've told me is that the concern is that he could get too big, which could lead to other health problems. That is usually only an issue when the levels are not under control.

I just wanted to give that update. I let myself worry when I shouldn't, so any prayers would be nice. I just don't want to hurt Cooper. And right now I feel like I can't eat because I don't know what's good and what's not. Be assured that I will eat; it just scares me.

I'll keep y'all updated. Thank you again for your prayers and support.



baby

0 comments: